Tuesday, March 15, 2011

This is a story of a sad loss and wonderful find!
Ten days ago, I (Mary) was in the "little room" and trying to accomplish two things at one time, I took off my solitaire diamond necklace and it slid off the chain and .....ooops! I thought I heard a clink as it hit the ceramic tile floor, but Jack and I looked and looked, to no avail, for the next half hour. We searched with a flashlight all over the bathroom, under the door, thinking it had bounced and rolled, but it was not to be found anywhere. This necklace, besides the value of the diamond, had great sentimental value because it was given to me by my co-workers when I retired from my nursing job at Toronto General Hospital.
We gave up the search as futile, thinking it had been flushed down the toilet (the sound of hitting ceramic was not the floor but the bowl) and was gone forever in the netherworld of the "black tank" - the name of the holding tank in RVs.
Yesterday, Jack filled out water tank because we are moving the RV to Camping World next Monday and will not be connected so we need extra water for showers, etc. After hooking up the hose to the fresh water tank, he opened the compartment door to watch it fill up. Perhaps it was the jarring and moving of opening and closing compartment doors that moved it along, but when he opened that door again, he saw the glint of that lovely diamond!!!
It seems that it was indeed the sound of the diamond hitting the floor, then bouncing under the flush pedal, following the outside of the pipe and landing on top of the fresh water tank. It had probably resided there for the 10 days and jiggled from that perch when Jack opened and closed the compartment door.
The lost has been found! and with great delight I proudly wear it now around my neck and appreciate it very much as the diamond glints in the sun!!!

No comments: